Saturday, January 9, 2010

Richman Waters Run Deep

About 5 years ago, I was ready to move from teaching at a private school to teaching at a public school.  I was tired from working two jobs and I needed to earn more money to keep the home I just bought.  Plus, I desperately wanted to use my degree in Mexican-American Studies and went searching for a new fit.  With help from my credential professors, Gina Glaudini's recommendation, and a whim Open House visit with my dad, I set my sights on Richman Elementary.  My good friend Patty was also searching for a new school and we were lucky to get hired together!  In my 4 years, I have had 4 great classes, approximately 88 great students, two awesome grade-level teams, 2 talented principals, and 4 good vice-principals.  What more could a person ask for?  Mommy friends.  Good mommy friends.  About 3 years ago, 5 of us teachers at Richman were getting pregnant or ready to become pregnant.  This wonderful bond started with the 5 of us and has now extended to many more.  In order of baby birth, Jessica (had Milan), Jennifer (had Taylor), me (had Salvatore), Sara (had Molly and 5 year old Jack), and Ana (had Mia) all quickly bonded with wonderful playdates, started by Sara, to share the joys and trials of motherhood.  Experienced mothers like Gina, Tiffany, Pam, Susan and Melodie (had Reece) have also shared in all of our experiences as well, and since we have introduced Stephanie (had Andre), Jennifer again (had twins Jacob and Madison), Gaby (had Cruz), Jennifer B. (had Sophie), Ivy (had Audrey), and Jane (had Isabel).  It was always a joke that you should not drink the water at Richman, unless you wanted a baby.  Well, Ana drank again (having Daniel this Thursday), Tracy (having a boy in March), Jessica again (having Dean in March), I drank again (having a little girl in early May), and Stephanie drank again (having a baby in late June).  I knew when I first started at Richman that something wonderful was going to happen to me.  I was blessed to make a new family and to share that growing family with all of the wonderful people at Richman.  Really, really blessed!  

3 comments:

  1. I am truely blessed to have all of you mommies and babies in my life too! I think I just read on Sara's blog that Molly has more friends than most 2 year olds. It is true. We have so much to be thankful for:) I appreciate you and I see what a good mom you are and what a trooper you are when you are pregnant:) BTW - did you hear that Mona is pregnant too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I don't know who is luckier...our kids, or us?
    don't forget the year Jack was born...we also had Cristian and Jesse (Alma and Teresa), and Gavin (Susan).
    There are also former Richman mommies who have had number 2 or on the same track as you guys (Christine)...AND, I've had 2 student teachers have 2 babies, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richman is blessed to have you, Shalimar!

    FYI, I'm bringing my own water for at least two or three years. :)

    ReplyDelete