Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday





Today is my favorite holiday. The one that brings the joy of Christmas and the miracle of Easter together and shows you how important it is to understand how Jesus lived and how we can do the same.  When Dad would take us to church for ashes when we were kids, I would get a special feeling inside when I saw everyone else with the ashes.  We all looked exactly the same.  Not just united by faith, but by something you could physically see this time.  It still fills my heart in a way that I can not explain.  I made special plans with my close friends and family tonight to celebrate.  Dad, Brian, Rebecca, Salvatore, Suzanne, Paul, Sean, Paige, Sara and I sat down together for a meal and then went to Our Lady of Guadalupe (where we baptized Sara), to receive our ashes.  David had to work, but he got his ashes on the way home.  We had a lovely meal and nothing makes me happier than hosting and cooking for people in our home.  In church, we all received our ashes and knelt down to say our prayers.  With no prompting, Salvatore made the sign of the cross and started to recite the Our Father in Spanish.  Another wonderful memory of a beautiful holiday and tradition.

4 comments:

  1. looks like a lovely evening :)
    how nice to be surrounded by so much love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great time and yet another ash Wednesday memory. I love what Salvatore did...how sweet :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We took Audrey to mass on Wednesday evening, too. She stared at my forehead, but she didn't cry at all, which has to be a miracle in itself. I spend most Sunday mornings pacing outside of the church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I miss those close friends of yours! Looks like an awesome night. I completely missed church. I guess it's just the season and when my kids are older I'll get to go too. :-(

    ReplyDelete