Thursday, March 1, 2012

Favorite Part of Childhood


A while back, while out with my dear mommy friends, we took turns asking each other fun, interesting and deep questions about our lives. One question that went around the table was, "What was your favorite part of childhood?"
I had my answer instantly.
Brian.
Baby brother. Maid of honor at my wedding. My partner in crime. Darshnoosh! (Remember that, Brian?)
We had a great childhood. We traveled everywhere. Visited almost half of the United States. Super cool dad who made everything fun. Beach and baseball. We moved a lot and learned how to change, make new friends and start over.

And Brian was the best part of all of that.

Brian recently played baseball at our former high school, Sunny Hills, and we went to cheer for him. I haven't walked on that campus in the 20 years it's been since I graduated. The alumni team played against the current varsity team. Varsity won. But Brian had the only RBI.
The picture above is us standing in front of our art class, the only class, we had together (I was a senior when he was a freshman). Our clearest memory of that class is that we were all sitting together working on some drawings when they announced on the radio that Magic Johnson had AIDS. Crazy.

I want my kids to take note and realize that this is the relationship that we are building for them as well, two best friends...

4 comments:

  1. such an awesome post.

    made me feel all warm and fuzzy. it's so neat that you and your brother had such an amazing relationship and wonderful childhood memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, too.
    Hope my kids are close like you and Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet post. You have a good brother:) I am sure he is a very important part of Sal and Val's lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe for a second you graduated 20 years ago. You can't convince me.

    ReplyDelete